Teaching “Leave it”
Showing “Leave It” Behavior
- Put a treat in your hand and show it to your animal before closing your fist over it.
- Ignore him as he tries to get the treat from your hand – you may be pawed, licked or nibbled on.
- As soon as he looks away or at you, say “Yesss. Good boy/girl.”
- Immediately give him a treat from your other hand.
- Play game until he begins to look away immediately.
- Take a break and have some dog fun…
Teaching “Leave It” words
- Present the hidden treat and then introduce the words “Leave it.” Use a non-command, no
- When he is
“Leave It” Games
Do these games in number order
- Next place the treat on the floor or tabletop with your hand over it.
- Do the same as you did before.
- He must look away before he can have a “different treat” in its place.
- Once he can leave that, place the treat on the floor or tabletop with a cloth over it.
- Walk by – when his nose looks at it, say “Leave it.”
- When he looks at you give him a better treat from your hand.
- Place some food on the tabletop and walk a short distance away.
- As soon as he looks at the food, say, “Leave it.”
- Give him a better treat when he turns from the forbidden object to you.